- Composites a person taken in the studio on a background taken outdoors.
- Typically shoots the subject with a 24m lens and the background with a 16mm (35mm equivalent).
- Backgrounds are a blend of three images taken 2 stops apart and processed with HDR and edited dark.
- Subject is usually rim lit to emphasise depth and separation from the background. Rim lighting also seems to work on most backgrounds.
- Shoots at the sweet spot of the lens, typically f7.1 to f9. Shoots on a tripod as he believes that a kit lens on a tripod will be sharper than a prime lens hand held.
- Blends two images together, one colour and one mono in Soft Light or Overlay to give a desaturated look. (Ref).